Tuesday, June 17, 2008

WTF?

http://www.wdsu.com/news/16634012/detail.html

I would like to know what The Army Corps of Engineers has been doing for the past 3 years?

Hello even before Katrina the corps was saying that the levees would hold in a Cat 3-4 storm. So where has the Federal money been spent?

I have to believe that the people who rebuilt their homes after flooding during Katrina felt that they were being assured that the levees would withstand at least a category 2 hurricane. If New Orleans floods again, you can kiss this city goodbye. Folks are not going to go through it twice. I feel like once again I have been lied to by the Federal Government (who is in charge of the Corps of Engineers), the Mayor and the State.

3 comments:

billy pilgrim said...

are the insurance companies still selling flood insurance to home owners?

Raspootin said...

No, only people with exisiting policies and it is very expensive. Im paying $1000.00/ year for just Flood, and I did not flood during Katrina.

Homeowner policies are not being written either. Unless you can talk your exsisting company into writing a policy on a New house, people are forced to go through Citizens which is a State Insurance run agency. It is much more expensive than lets say a State Farm or AllState.

Leslie said...

I did not have a problem acquiring flood insurance thru State Farm, and I thought it was surprisingly reasonable at $348 a year.

Ditto hazard insurance on a very NOT new house (1895). I do have 4 other policies with them, but I still expected some resistance. They were all too happy to take my money.

The Citizens wind and hail policy? Outrageous.